Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 122 - CRASH & BURN

I didn't sleep last night worrying about my black floors, so I dropped Colton off at school and flew over to take a peek before work. Guess what? They were still black as coal. I felt kinda sick. I went on in to work & we decided I would go over at lunch and try to wipe them down. Well, darn it, the stain had dried just enough to be like tar - there was no wiping at this point. I called several places today and they laughed when I said we rolled the stain on. You always brush it on, then immediately wipe it down I was told - just as the instructions said.

After work, Tess and I went to the house with sponge mops, paint thinner and rubber gloves to try & get some of the stain up. Needless to say, it didn't work. The sponge mops lasted about sixty seconds and the rubber gloves about thirty minutes before the paint thinner and stain ate through them. In certain spots, I could see the true color that I had picked while in other spots we applied too much paint thinner. I called it quits. The pros tell me that with as much stain as we used by rolling it on, we will have to wait ten to twelve days before it dries. THEN...I can sand all over again. :-) At least this time, it will go easier since I don't have to get the poly off of the top.

At the end of the day, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but I chose to laugh. I know Rob felt bad, but I truly appreciate all of his hard work. I teased him about doing the "man thing" and not going by the directions. On the positive side, the fumes from the stain made us all giddy (especially Cathy AKA Sharpie-Marker-Lover), so we had lots of giggles applying it.

Live and learn, but read the DAMN directions! LOL!

No comments: